st: RE: Problem in appending data files.

From   "MacLennan, Graeme" <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: RE: Problem in appending data files.
Date   Tue, 6 Nov 2012 14:07:59 +0000

**** example begins ****
use S0, clear
gen Province = 0
forvalues i= 1/29 {
append using "C:\Total85\S`i'.dta" ,
replace Province=`i' if Province == .
save "C:\Total85\Total.dta", replace
**** example ends ****

HTH, g.

-----Original Message-----
From: [] On Behalf Of Amir Kasaeian
Sent: 06 November 2012 13:46
Subject: st: Problem in appending data files.

Dear all,
Good day!
I have a problem in appending my data files.
I wrote a loop but there is little problem that I don't know how to resolve it.
Your help will be appreciated.
I use stata MP 11.
The problem is that I have 30 files in a folder named S0 through S1. I want to have a final file named for example "Total" including a new variable as an indicator for observations of each of 30 separate files.
I wrote my file as :

forvalues i= 0/29 {
append using "C:\Total85\S`i'.dta" ,
gen Province=`i'
save "C:\Total85\Total.dta", replace

but the code stops at the first step alarming:

. do "C:\Users\AK\AppData\Local\Temp\STD00000000.tmp"

. forvalues i= 0/29 {
  2. append using "C:\Total85\S`i'.dta" ,
  3. gen Province=`i'
  4. save "C:\Total85\Total.dta", replace
  5. }
file C:\Total85\Total.dta saved
Province already defined

end of do-file

The Total file just includes observation from the S0.
Would you please help me to modify my codes?
Bunch of thanks,