Re: st: xtlogit, margins

From   Austin Nichols <>
Subject   Re: st: xtlogit, margins
Date   Mon, 5 Nov 2012 16:28:57 -0500

Seliger Florian <> and Maarten Buis <>:

I disagree that "standard econometric courses don't talk about odds ratios"
and I daresay every econometrics book talks about odds ratios in one way
or another, though perhaps only to tell you how to back out probabilities;
one problem is that people misinterpret the effect sizes reported in
odds ratios:
so most economists are loath to report them.

Personally, I prefer log odds to odds or probabilities, though odds
are usually better
for decision-making (playing poker, or evaluating a medical test result).