st: xtlogit, margins

From   "Seliger Florian" <>
To   "''" <>
Subject   st: xtlogit, margins
Date   Fri, 2 Nov 2012 17:15:10 +0000

Dear statalist,
my question is basically whether I can use
margins, dydx(*)
after xtlogit, re and xtlogit, fe in order to calculate average marginal effects,
what margins, dydx(*) will tell me and whether there might be problems in the panel context (the mfx command understates marginal effects in this context, see Cameron, Trivedi, 2009, Microeconometrics using Stata, p.613). I have to say that I am always struggling with the margins command and I am still unsure what all the options do.
In addition, I have an interaction effect
(xtlogit depvar ind1 ind2 ind1Xind2 controls),
not using the factor variable language in order to use inteff.
I am not sure if inteff is outdated (meaning that margins can do the same, but I don't know how) and whether it is appropriate in this case.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks