Re: st: changing values to either all caps or all lowercase

From   Nick Cox <>
Subject   Re: st: changing values to either all caps or all lowercase
Date   Thu, 1 Nov 2012 12:24:15 +0000

I gave you an example that you can try.

As others have emphasised,

1. changing the names of the variables

2. changing the values they contain

are completely different problems.

-renvars- (SJ) was for a decade the most versatile tool for renaming
variables, but in Stata 12 -rename- is much revised and the first port
of call.

But as said your problem is #1 not #2.

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 11:46 AM, Kathleen Oberst
<> wrote:

> I was not successful identifying a command that affected the values, I did find the command "renvars, upper" or "renvars, lower" for modifying the variable names. From your example, I'm interpreting that to mean that I have to create duplicates of all my variables in order to accomplish the same type of editing for the values, is my understanding correct?

Nick Cox