information on Stata for people on old versions [was: Re: st: Questions ... SEM]

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   information on Stata for people on old versions [was: Re: st: Questions ... SEM]
Date   Thu, 1 Nov 2012 09:35:25 +0000

What Yuval missed for some reason no doubt could be missed by others.

Let's extend it:

1. If you are using some version of Stata before the present one
(12.1), and wish to know what's in the current release, then visit
http://www.stata.com/stata12/ for a good start.

2. The bottom of every Statalist posting exemplifies the fact that
much of the help for Stata 12 is also available over the internet. The
example is given of

http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search

The recipe is easy: once you know the name of a manual entry, you can
replace "search" with that name. I just guessed at

http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?sem

and it does work. (No; neither the .pdf manuals nor the software is
available for download.)

3. If you want to know what's been written in the Stata Journal,
typing -search- with keywords in your Stata will tell you to the
extent that your Stata is up-to-date. But a search from

http://www.stata-journal.com/archives/

will work for anyone. Papers published more than 3 years ago are
accessible to all in .pdf form.

4. If you want to know what's in the next release. or indeed when that
will be, the historical pattern is that Bill Gould will announce this
on Statalist when both content and date are certain (and not before) .
For last time, see

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2011-06/msg01146.html

I say "historical pattern", as I have no idea whether StataCorp will
do something new next time.

Nick

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 6:55 AM, Yuval Arbel <[email protected]> wrote:

>> William, unfortunately I don't have stata 12. However, my question is
>> conceptual. Previous stata versions had the possibility to estimate
>> system of equations using, for example, -reg3-. The question is what
>> is the supplements in
>> -sem-. The broader question will therefore be whether the terms
>> "Structural Equation Model" and "System of Structural Equations" are
>> identical

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 6:38 AM, William Buchanan

On Oct 31, 2012, at 21:29, Yuval Arbel <[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 6:21 AM, William Buchanan