Re: st: appending two survey data sets

Subject   Re: st: appending two survey data sets
Date   Wed, 31 Oct 2012 17:41:11 -0500

On 1, 2, 3, the short answers are "yes", "yes" and "yes". The longer
answers depend on what you have at hand. If you had a simple random
sample at each stage, then you simply muliply through the ratios (# of
units sampled)/(# of units in the population) to get the probability
of selection. A smarter survey statistician would design a PPS survey,
in which hospitals would be selected with probabilities proportional
to the measure of size (# of beds, # of hospitalized, etc.). You
obviously have to make the names of your survey design variables the
same in two data sets.

A short answer to 4 is to -generate int year=2009- in one data set and
-year=2011- in the other before appending. I am not sure as to what's
the best way to approach 5, as it really depends on the computing
capacity you may have at hand. 800 variables and 10,000 observations
would produce at most 64Mb data set, and one would really have to go
back to the hardward from late 1990s to have problems with a data set
of this size.

--
-- Stas Kolenikov, PhD, PStat (SSC)  ::  http://stas.kolenikov.name
-- Senior Survey Statistician, Abt SRBI  ::  work email kolenikovs at