Re: st: get the current path

From   Nick Cox <njcoxstata@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: get the current path
Date   Tue, 23 Oct 2012 22:22:10 +0100

I think the short answer is that

1. You, the user, can always keep track of what you are using.

2. It's equally true that what is being executed is not accessible to
the user as a single path, not least because it need not be one. Given
that do-files can call other do-files, and so on, and do-files can
call ado-files, and so on, and ado-files can call ado-files, and so
on, there can easily be a complicated nested hierarchy. So, the
current do-file may be uniquely defined if there is just one, but it's
not a Stata concept given the possibility of a hierarchy.

Any way, what difference would it make?

Nick