Re: st: Unable to use "replace" on specific values (but others work ok)

From   Anna Reimondos <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Unable to use "replace" on specific values (but others work ok)
Date   Fri, 19 Oct 2012 09:43:40 +1100

Thanks for the tip about filefilter. Will definitely use that!

I have finally discovered what is happening I think. As mentioned I am
working with occupation coding.

*Long answer
Each respondent is manually coded based on what they described their
occupation to be in an open text question. As there are 2000+ cases, I
have tried to streamline the procedure by first working from an excel
spreadsheet.

The excel spreadsheet has a column for the id of the respondent,
another couple of columns with the occupation description. Finally
there is a column for the ANZSCO code which I am filling in. The code
is derived by searching for occupations on the Australian Bureau of
Statistics website.
For example I search for a 'massage therapist' and find that the code
is 411611.
http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/Product+Lookup/1220.0~First+Edition,+Revision+1~Chapter~UNIT+GROUP+4116+Massage+Therapists

I am selecting and copying the code directly from the website.
Sometimes I am accidentaly also copying a space after the numbers.

Afterwards in Excel I use concatenate to create a list of commands,
e.g. replace anzscovariable=411611 if id==6  etc. Because the space
after the massage therapist code is now also getting incorporated
getting copied this is what is creating the problem.

*Short answer
 I am copying numbers from the web, pasting them into excel,
generating the commands, and then pasting them into a do-file and thus
probably introducing the bad characters in the process.

Cheers
Anna