st: use xtnbreg, fe or xtpoisson, fe vce(r)?

From   "Vestal, Alex - COB" <>
Subject   st: use xtnbreg, fe or xtpoisson, fe vce(r)?
Date   Wed, 17 Oct 2012 21:28:15 +0000

Using unbalanced panel data, I am modeling a count DV with overdispersion (patent counts).  I recently submitted a study using xtnbreg and a reviewer commented: "the best practice is to use xtpoisson with robust SEs that resolves the usual reasons to favor xtnbreg."
I had been using xtnbreg because of its ability to handle overdispersion.  Is xtpoisson vce(robust) robust to overdispersion?  I'm looking for rationale as to which approach I should be using.  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Alex Vestal, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Technology Management
College of Business
Oregon State University