st: replace part of observations in a string variable

From   Kamarul Imran <kim4597@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: replace part of observations in a string variable
Date   Wed, 17 Oct 2012 11:02:35 +0100

Hi all,

I want to replace part of observations in the string variable to
missing values. For example, I want to replace "Pasir Mas" to either
"." or " " from a string variable named as "new2"

------------------------------------
new2
------------------------------------
Tumpat
Tumpat
Kota Bharu
Kota Bharu
Pasir Mas
Kota Bharu
Kota Bharu

what I did was:

. replace addnew2=" " if addnew2 == "Pasir Mas"
(0 real changes made)

Observation "Pasir Mas" was not replaced by " " . What have I done
wrong? What is the better way of working with string variable?
Appreciate everyone's' time in responding to this.

Regards

Kamarul
UK