RE: st: OLS and IV have opposite sign

From   "Millimet, Daniel" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: OLS and IV have opposite sign
Date   Mon, 15 Oct 2012 20:42:38 +0000

The bias from incorrectly treating a covariate as exogenous is additive: E[beta-hat] = beta + bias.  So, if the bias is larger in absolute value than beta, and IV provides a consistent estimate of the true value, beta, there is no reason why they cannot be of the opposite sign.  Of course, given recent work on heterogeneous treatment effects, it could also be that IV estimates the local average treatment effect (for compliers) and this parameter has no simple relationship to the OLS estimate.

Daniel L. Millimet, Professor
Department of Economics
Box 0496
SMU
Dallas, TX 75275-0496
phone: 214.768.3269
fax: 214.768.1821
web: http://faculty.smu.edu/millimet

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Shikha Sinha
Sent: Monday, October 15, 2012 3:33 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: OLS and IV have opposite sign

I am estimating the effect of family size (no of children) on probability of work by mother. The endogenous variable is no of children and I instrument this by gender of first born. If the first child is female then family size should be greater.

I understand that IV correct the bias and OLS coeff may be upward or downward biased. One can sign the bias (+) or (-) by examining the correlation between the omited variable and endogenous, but What I do not understand why the sign would change and what determines the opposite sign. I get a negative OLS while a positive IV coeff.

Thanks,
Shikha