Re: st: Stata agent string for net install

From   Brendan Halpin <>
Subject   Re: st: Stata agent string for net install
Date   Thu, 11 Oct 2012 16:52:19 +0100

Many thanks Alan, for a very lucid explanation.

On Thu, Oct 11 2012, Alan Riley wrote:

> Unfortunately for Brendan's purposes, but fortunately for our users,
> this number does NOT uniquely identify Stata installations nor Stata
> users.

I kind of hoped that was the case. I'm trying to count unique downloads
of a locally-hosted add-on, and there are approximately twice as many
unique IP addresses as unique agent-strings.

PS: I know the problems with IP addresses (proxies mean one IP is many
people; dynamic addressing means one person has many IP addresses); I
just want a summary statistic I can wave around.
Brendan Halpin,   Department of Sociology,   University of Limerick,   Ireland
Tel: w +353-61-213147  f +353-61-202569  h +353-61-338562;  Room F1-009 x 3147    ULSociology on Facebook:         twitter:@ULSociology