st: encode command

From   <Caterina.ASTARITA@ext.ec.europa.eu>
To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: encode command
Date   Thu, 11 Oct 2012 12:49:46 +0000

Dear Statalisters,

I have  a very simple problem.
In the dataset I am using the names assigned to different countries are strings. My variable name is "country"
I use the command  "encode country, gen(country_1)" in order to transform the string into numbers
But still country_1 shows as a name and not a number. What if I would to visualize countr_1 as a column of numbers in the dataset?

Thank you very much,

Caterina