st: Stata agent string for net install

From   Brendan Halpin <>
Subject   st: Stata agent string for net install
Date   Wed, 10 Oct 2012 22:35:26 +0100

Does anyone happen to know what the four numbers in the agent string
that Stata sends when making a HTTP connection to do a -net install-?

That is, when you do a -net install- Stata identifies itself as a
browser to the web server. Older versions may simply say "Stata/9.2
(Windows)" but more recent ones give more info, e.g.:

Stata/IC 11.1 (418.11.1.687) on Windows NT 5.0

What does the 418.11.1.687 mean (I've made up the numbers here in case
they actually reveal information about people)? Is it unique to the
Stata installation? Can I use it, for instance, to enumerate unique
downloads (better than using IP addresses)?

Brendan Halpin,   Department of Sociology,   University of Limerick,   Ireland
Tel: w +353-61-213147  f +353-61-202569  h +353-61-338562;  Room F1-009 x 3147    ULSociology on Facebook:         twitter:@ULSociology