st: How to identify a string as a variable?

From   Nobuaki Michihata <>
Subject   st: How to identify a string as a variable?
Date   Wed, 10 Oct 2012 11:08:47 +0900

I need help!

I'm looking for the way to identify a text string as a variable.

Here is an example.
.sysuse auto
. di price[1]
. di ("p"+"rice"+"[1]")

On the last command, I need "4099", not "price[1]".
Is there any string function to identify a string as a variable's name?
Thank you for your help!