Re: st: dates question

From   Nick Cox <>
Subject   Re: st: dates question
Date   Mon, 8 Oct 2012 10:12:51 +0100

See [U] 24 for a brief introduction and -help dates and times- for
fuller detail.

If your variables are all numeric then

gen dailydate = mdy(injmo, injday. injyr)

will produce a daily date variable. Then

format dailydate %td

formal dailydate %d

will assign a default format for daily dates. You can tune that format
using recipes given in the -help-.

Note that (a) having a values in a variable that Stata will interpret
as dates as you want and (b) assigning a format that displays a date
variable as a recognisable date are quite separate in principle, as
shown by the separate commands above.