st: Stata 12 Memory

From   Matthew Weaver <>
Subject   st: Stata 12 Memory
Date   Fri, 5 Oct 2012 12:36:33 -0700 (PDT)

I am trying to merge two files, one 7.5gb and one 4.7gb. I have Stata 12,
MP4, on a Mac. There is a unique identifier in each set, and the merge is
1:1. I would like to have one complete merged set, as opposed to dropping
variables before I merge. I will be able to drop unnecessary variables
afterward. I don't receive an error, but the program does seem to freeze,
even when left alone overnight. The screen appears unchanged when I return,
and the icon indicator no longer revolves to show that the program is
operating. I believe it is because I have only 8gb of ram. I would just like
to confirm that this is the reason. If this is the case, is there a way to
work around that problem without adding ram?

Thank you,