Re: st: Reduced Correlation Matrix

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Reduced Correlation Matrix
Date   Thu, 4 Oct 2012 14:26:13 +0100

You can do some of this with -cpcorr- from SSC (except that any
LaTeXing is completely up to you).

. ssc desc cpcorr

package cpcorr from http://fmwww.bc.edu/repec/bocode/c

TITLE
      'CPCORR': module for correlations for each row vs each column variable

DESCRIPTION/AUTHOR(S)

      cpcorr produces a matrix of correlations for rowvarlist versus
      colvarlist. cpspear does the same for Spearman correlations. This
      matrix may thus be oblong, and need not be square. Both also
      allow a single varlist.

      Author: Nicholas J. Cox, University of Durham
      Support: email [email protected]

      Distribution-Date: 20010423

INSTALLATION FILES                               (type net install cpcorr)
      cpcorr.ado
      cpcorr.hlp
      cpspear.ado
      cpspear.hlp
(type -ssc install cpcorr- to install)

That said, -cpcorr- dates from a time long before Mata. You could get
a correlation matrix in Mata and extract a block without using any
loops. However, you would also need to label rows and columns.

You can also some of this using -corrci- (SJ). The way to do it would
be to save results to a separate data set and then reformat.

SJ-10-4 pr0041_1  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Software update for corrci
        (help corrci, corrcii if installed) . . . . . . . . . . . .  N. J. Cox
        Q4/10   SJ 10(4):691
        update to fix corrci so that it always saves r-class results

SJ-8-3  pr0041  .  Speaking Stata: Corr. with confidence, Fisher's z revisited
        (help corrci, corrcii if installed) . . . . . . . . . . . .  N. J. Cox
        Q3/08   SJ 8(3):413--439
        reviews Fisher's z transformation and its inverse, the
        hyperbolic tangent, and reviews their use in inference
        with correlations

I don't know what you mean by standard deviations here. Do you mean
"standard errors"? -corrci- as above supports confidence intervals, as
the name implies.

Sorry. but none of my programs ever supports significance starring, in
my view a practice more suited to restaurant or movie reviews than to
science.

Nick