st: Post-program tempfiles or a temp directory?

From   James Sams <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Post-program tempfiles or a temp directory?
Date   Thu, 27 Sep 2012 11:18:04 -0700 (PDT)

Short version: I want to create a -tempdir- that behaves like -tempfile-, only
for directories.

I'm trying to write a program that will create lots of tempfiles that will not
be deleted after the end of the program but will be deleted after the end of a
stata session. The purpose of this is to work with very large data in smaller
logical chunks in a convenient manner.

There does not seem to be any kind of flag to -tempfile- that will tell it to
not be deleted after the end of the program run, though such a flag would be
convenient.

Similarly, I tried setting up the program to take a temporary directory
(created by tempfile actually_a_dir ; mkdir `actually_a_dir') and then pass the
`actually_a_dir' to my program, have it create the files there, hoping that the
directory would be cleaned up like a tempfile would be. However, this is not
the case. The directory is not even cleaned on stata's exit.

If I can't manipulate tempfile to create files that will last longer, I want to
create -tempdir- that will create a hook similar to Stata's tempfile to clean
up the directory on the exit of the current context, or whatever exactly
tempfile's rule is.

Thoughts?

--
James Sams