RE: st: Quantile regression

From   Vasan Kandaswamy <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Quantile regression
Date   Sat, 22 Sep 2012 10:55:19 +0000

Thank you very much Nick for you response.
They are very useful in taking the analysis forward. Is there any way that variability within quartile groups be addressed ?
Best regards,
Vasan

From: [email protected] [[email protected]] on behalf of Nick Cox [[email protected]]
Sent: Saturday, September 22, 2012 11:52 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Quantile regression

I will number your commands for ease of discussion.

1. xtile bmi_q = bmi, nquantiles(4)

2. bysort bmi_q sex:sum glucose, detail

3. bysort sex: anova glucose_log bmi_q

4. bysort sex: qreg bmi glucose age

#2 gives descriptive statistics, which no doubt could be useful. I
would expect graphs to be as or more useful, e.g.

scatter glucose bmi || lowess glucose bmi, by(sex)

#1 and #3 are choices that seem very hard to defend in any statistical
discussion. You are throwing away information on variability within
quartile groups of -bmi- and degrading the data.

#4 is puzzling too. Why expect a linear relation between -bmi- and its
predictors? If  there are different relationships according to -sex-,
the most usual tactic is not to fit separate models, but to fit a
joint model with interactions between age and sex.

If -glucose- is the response, it should not be the predictor in #4.

Why is glucose treated as linear in one model and logged in another?

This is not my field, but I find it difficult to imagine that the
science _demands_ thinking in terms of quartiles. Quartiles are a best
a convenient categorisation and at worst an arbitrary and inefficient
one.

Identifiying a best predictor is never easy and often futile.

Nick

On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 9:05 AM, Vasan Kandaswamy
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Thank you very much. I sincerely apologize for not having made my question clear.
>
> The scientific question that I would like to address are:
> 1. How much fold increase in outcome variable ( glucose) is observed from Quartile 1 to Quartile 4 of predictor variable (BMI) and want to see if this difference across quartiles is significant.
> 2. How much is the unit change observed in outcome variable.
> 3. With various predictors ( BMI, waist, body fat, weight etc) , I want to see which one best predicts the outcome variable
> 4. All analysis I would like to see seperately for men and women
>
> To address these : I went about this way
> 1. derived mean/median of outcome variable in each quartile
> 2. To compare the mean of glucose across quartiles of BMI for males ( not compare male mean and female mean in each quartile)- I intend to do an one way ANOVA ( but was suggested a two way)
> 3. To observe the unit change across quartiles, I wanted to do a regression model using qreg.
> 4. Finally, I am not sure as to how to go about with finding out which is the best predictor of the outcome. ( If I am not mistaken, I do not think I can do a standardized beta in qreg).
>
> The script I used are
> xtile bmi_q = bmi, nquantiles(4)
> bysort bmi_q sex:sum glucose, detail
> bysort sex: anova glucose_log bmi_q
> bysort sex: qreg bmi glucose age
>
> I hope I have made it more understandable now.
> Would be really very useful if I have your suggestions on these.

David Hoaglin [[email protected]]