RE: st: Quantile regression

From   Vasan Kandaswamy <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Quantile regression
Date   Sat, 22 Sep 2012 08:05:50 +0000

Dear David,
Thank you very much. I sincerely apologize for not having made my question clear.

The scientific question that I would like to address are:
1. How much fold increase in outcome variable ( glucose) is observed from Quartile 1 to Quartile 4 of predictor variable (BMI) and want to see if this difference across quartiles is significant.
2. How much is the unit change observed in outcome variable.
3. With various predictors ( BMI, waist, body fat, weight etc) , I want to see which one best predicts the outcome variable
4. All analysis I would like to see seperately for men and women

To address these : I went about this way
1. derived mean/median of outcome variable in each quartile
2. To compare the mean of glucose across quartiles of BMI for males ( not compare male mean and female mean in each quartile)- I intend to do an one way ANOVA ( but was suggested a two way)
3. To observe the unit change across quartiles, I wanted to do a regression model using qreg.
4. Finally, I am not sure as to how to go about with finding out which is the best predictor of the outcome. ( If I am not mistaken, I do not think I can do a standardized beta in qreg).

The script I used are
xtile bmi_q = bmi, nquantiles(4)
bysort bmi_q sex:sum glucose, detail
bysort sex: anova glucose_log bmi_q
bysort sex: qreg bmi glucose age

I hope I have made it more understandable now.
Would be really very useful if I have your suggestions on these.

Best regards,
Vasan