st: new xtabond2 feature used in Lancet letter

From   "David Roodman ([email protected])" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: new xtabond2 feature used in Lancet letter
Date   Fri, 14 Sep 2012 16:37:19 +0000

This spring I added a feature to xtabond2, which offers a new way to reduce the instrument count and (one hopes) avoid the evils of instrument proliferation. The feature applies principal components analysis (PCA) to the "GMM-style" instruments and keeps only the largest components. See http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2012-04/msg00681.html.

Today, I have a letter in the Lancet that illustrates the use of the feature. One thing I like about PCA is the way it facilitates graphical examination of the impact of reducing the instrument count on statistics such as the Hansen test.

Lancet letter:
http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(12)61529-3/fulltext

Pretty graph:
http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140673612615293/images?imageId=gr1&sectionType=lightBlue&hasDownloadImagesLink=true