st: Categorical axis labels with -graph dot- and -by-

From   "David W. Harless" <>
Subject   st: Categorical axis labels with -graph dot- and -by-
Date   Wed, 12 Sep 2012 11:03:07 -0400

I'm having a problem getting exactly the graph I want with -graph dot- and the -by- option. Here is an example using the nlsw88 data set:

sysuse nlsw88, clear
graph dot wage, over(occ ) by(race, rows(2) holes(2))

I'd like to have the categorical axis labels (the occupations) shown only once in each row (not be repeated as they are in the example graph for the "other" race).

I haven't found a way to do this in the documentation for -graph dot- or -graph hbar-. I have read the manual's advice about use of -over- rather than -by- with dot or hbar graphs, but in my situation -by- looks to be right among other reasons because I have two -over- categories and two yvars I wish to plot.

Thank you,
Dave Harless