Re: st: running mi disagnostics in stata 12

From   [email protected] (Yulia Marchenko, StataCorp LP)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: running mi disagnostics in stata 12
Date   Sun, 09 Sep 2012 20:39:14 -0500

Priya Joshi <[email protected]> tries to follow the instructions from
Marchenko and Eddings (2011) to perform multiple-imputation diagnostics and
receives a "file _1___mitmpfile1.dta could not be opened" error:

> I am trying to run the Marchenko and Eddings (2011) step-by-step mi
> diagnostics (i.e. graphical and numeric) diagnostics. While the page appears
> to be straightforward, I have not been able to run the commands in sequence.

> . qui mi xeq: generate byte mis_enr = missing(enr_t_ss2064)
> file _1___mitmpfile1.dta could not be opened
>
> I keep on getting the "file could not be opened" error. Also, I get the same
> message when I don't do the convert wide.
>
> Am I doing something particularly wrong here?

There are a number of possible reasons Priya receives this error message.  For
example, Priya may not have permission to write in the current directory.
Priya should email technical support at [email protected] with a log file
and preferably the dataset and do file so they can determine the exact reason
Priya receives this error.

Reference:

Marchenko, Y. V., and W. D. Eddings. 2011. A note on how to perform
multiple-imputation diagnostics in Stata.
http://www.stata.com/users/ymarchenko/midiagnote.pdf

-- Yulia