Re: st: Obtain information from nearest observation

From   Jeph Herrin <>
Subject   Re: st: Obtain information from nearest observation
Date   Fri, 07 Sep 2012 14:36:07 -0400

u datasetA, clear
gen byte event=1
merge 1:m COMPANY using datasetB, keepusing(DATE NET_SALES)
drop if _merge==2
bysort COMPANY (DATE) : egen last_sales=NET_SALES[_n-1] if event==1
bysort COMPANY (DATE) : egen next_sales=NET_SALES[_n+1] if event==1