st: Obtain information from nearest observation

From   "Marco Müller" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Obtain information from nearest observation
Date   Fri, 07 Sep 2012 17:54:52 +0200

Hi all

I have the following problem: I have a dataset A with event dates for firms as:
COMPANY    EVENT_DATE
1          01/03/1986
2          15/08/2001

and I have a dataset B with financial information about the firms, e.g.:
COMPANY     DATE             NET_SALES
1           31/12/1985       1'000
1           31/12/1986       2'000
1           31/12/1987       1'200
2           30/06/2000         400
2           30/06/2001         600
2           30/06/2002         700

I'd like to obtain the last available net sales information PRIOR to the event date (or, in another case, the first one FOLLOWING the event date). For example, I'd like to obtain the net sales of 1'000 and 600 for A and B (prior to the events) and 2'000&700 following the events.

Any suggenstions how to handle that?

Many thanks for your suggestions

Best regards,
Marco