Re: st: "First numlist in weights( ...) invalid" error when using tssmooth to calculate a simple moving average

From   Nick Cox <>
Subject   Re: st: "First numlist in weights( ...) invalid" error when using tssmooth to calculate a simple moving average
Date   Thu, 6 Sep 2012 22:23:54 +0100

No; when I refer to my -filter()- I do mean my -filter()- function,
which is (and has been through its history) only available through
-egenmore- (SSC).

The -ma()- function of -egen- was never mine, and has been through its
history part of official Stata, but is now undocumented. It precedes
the whole machinery of -tsset-, does not support panel data, and is
now superseded by other stuff. But -filter()- remains consistent with
other parts of Stata.

The posting you cite from 2009 remains correct in every detail.