st: cluster analysis mixed variables

From   irina ciornei <irina.ciorneii@gmail.com>
Subject   st: cluster analysis mixed variables
Date   Thu, 6 Sep 2012 22:02:28 +0200

Dear Stata users,

I am a beginner in statistical analysis and I would be very grateful if you
could advice me.
I have to run cluster analysis with a small number of variables (3 are
continuous, one is binary, one is ordinal and one is nominal) on a fairly
small number of observations (54). Is it recommendable to apply the stata
commands related to hierarchical cluster analysis? does the program
automatically recognize the different types of variables and perform the
adequate linkage procedure? I know that if I standardize the continuous
variables I can apply for example "cluster wav", but is it correct to
perform this operation on a mixed type of data? Does the programme have
another package/set of commands that deals with cluster analysis for mixed
data?

Thank you very much.