Re: st: RE: Mean test in a Likert Scale

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Mean test in a Likert Scale
Date   Mon, 3 Sep 2012 16:08:02 +0100

I don't prescribe or proscribe. If a predictor is ordinal, I'd guess
that using indicator variables is most likely to be the best strategy.
But I don't rule out, a priori or even prima facie or ex cathedra,
that entering an ordinal variable "as is" might work well. Or even
that there is a case for using both the predictor and a set of
indicator variables.

Similarly, how to treat something measured in US dollars is not
something laid down in advance. It's most likely that I would want to
transform it.

I don't believe, by the way, that "anything goes" in data analysis,
but on this point I think flexibility scores over dogmatism.

Nick