Re: st: RE: Mean test in a Likert Scale

From   Yuval Arbel <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Mean test in a Likert Scale
Date   Mon, 3 Sep 2012 00:53:42 -0700

Regarding Nick's question, the exact reference of Kmenta (1997) is:

Jan Kmenta (1997): Elements of Econometrics, Second Edition, Chapter 11.

The particular example is taken from page 464. On the second sentence
of the first paragraph the author says that:

"It would be incorrect to use one variable with three values say, 0
for B.A., 1 for M.A. and 2 for a Ph.D."

Then he explains formally why it is wrong:

"That is, by using one variable with values 0, 1 or 2 (or any three
equidistant values) we are in fact assuming that the difference
between the salary of a Ph.D. and an M.A. is the same as that between
the salary of M.A. and B.A. Unless we know a priori this is the case,
we are not justified in making such an assumption."

Dr. Yuval Arbel
School of Business
Carmel Academic Center
4 Shaar Palmer Street,