re: Re: st: Standardized difference of means after PS matching

From   "Ariel Linden. DrPH" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   re: Re: st: Standardized difference of means after PS matching
Date   Thu, 30 Aug 2012 10:19:18 -0700

Hi Adam,

I am not sure what is going on with your data. I do suggest that you run
-pstest- after -psmatch2- (both programs found on ssc), and see what results
you get.

You are correct in using standardized differences for balance checking and
not p-values. -pstest- does provide std. diff. according to Rosenbaum and
Rubin (1985)*, which first calculates the std. diff of the unmatched sample,
and then again using the matched sample. The output provides a "percent bias
reduction", which represents the difference between the unmatched and
matched std.diff.

This may be the best solution for you rather than trying to figure out why
the estimates differ running it through two different programs.

 Ariel

*Rosenbaum PR, Rubin DB. Constructing a control group using  multivariate
matched sampling methods that incorporate the propensity score. The American
Statistician 1985;39(1):33-38.