Re: st: Missingness

Subject   Re: st: Missingness
Date   Tue, 28 Aug 2012 09:51:02 -0400

Brendan Churchill et al.:
The original post is far from clear: is the missingness in LHS or RHS
vars, or both?  Was a dummy for missingness in a RHS variable X
created and missing X recoded to zero so the dummy captures the
difference in mean outcomes conditional on other variables between
missing X and nonmissing X cases, which is known to be a problematic
approach, or was missing X never recoded so the dummy is always zero
in sample (and therefore collinear with the constant)?  In any case,
the manual entry on -mi- is a good place to start, though it does not
mention an entirely different (no imputation) approach: treat missing
data as survey nonresponse and use a propensity score reweighting
method.  See e.g.
http://www.stata-journal.com/sjpdf.html?articlenum=st0136_1 and
references therein.