st: Missingness

From   Brendan Churchill <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: Missingness
Date   Tue, 28 Aug 2012 07:42:23 +0000

Dear Statalist Users

I am using some ordinal variables, which have some numeric missing values, in a multilevel model. In some previous research, I have seen researchers include a 'Missing' independent variable in their model to account for some of the 'missingness' - or rather to control for the missing values, but I don't quite understand how to do it in Stata or even if that's a good way to do it. I've tried to make a binary variable in which the missing values are coded 1 and the rest of the values are coded 0 but the model rejects this because it's collinear.

Is this how you do it? Or is there a variable for the entire data set that is created to account for all missing variables?

I'd great appreciate any advice or assistance anyone out there could provide