RE: st: Coding scale items for factor analysis

From   Cameron McIntosh <cnm100@hotmail.com>
To   STATA LIST <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   RE: st: Coding scale items for factor analysis
Date   Thu, 23 Aug 2012 21:47:17 -0400

Sanja,

Factor analysis may or may not be appropriate, given the nature of the supposed latent variables/common factors. Make sure you are consistently precise about the definition/meaning of the observables. For example, it is really "perceptions of the impact of wind energy on ..... " I also suspect that you may be in a formative rather than reflective measurement model situation.. a hot topic these days.

Buis, M.L. (yyyy). Combining information from multiple variables using models for causal indicators The Stata Journal, vv(ii), 1–14.
http://www.maartenbuis.nl/wp/prop.pdf

Bollen, K.A., & Bauldry, S. (2011). Three Cs in measurement models: Causal indicators, composite indicators, and covariates. Psychological Methods, 16(3), 265-284.
Bollen, K.A. (2011). Evaluating Effect, Composite, and Causal Indicators in Structural Equation Models. MIS Quarterly, 35(2), 359-372.

Hardin, A.M., & Marcoulides, G.A. (2011). A Commentary on the Use of Formative Measurement. Educational and Psychological Measurement, Online First.
http://epm.sagepub.com/content/early/2011/08/02/0013164411414270.abstract

Hardin, A.M., Chang, J.C.-J., Fuller, M.A., & Torkzadeh, G. (2011). Formative Measurement and Academic Research: In Search of Measurement Theory. Educational and Psychological Measurement, 71(2), 281-305.
Cam