RE: st: propensity matching and matched pair analysis

From   Claude Beaty <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: propensity matching and matched pair analysis
Date   Mon, 20 Aug 2012 14:07:33 +0000

Ariel,

I apologize for the delay in responding to your email. I appreciate your opinion on the use of parametric statistics and would love to avoid this whole issue based on these reasons, but the article I am submitting based on this data is subject to peer review and the reviewers would like to accommodate for the pairing in my statistics (I initially utilized the t-test, fisher's exact and chi2 analysis in my paired data to describe the covariate relationships based on disease presence).

As for my questions:
1) Can McNemar's test be used in a 2:1 analysis or only in a 1:1 analysis?  If this is the wrong test, what would be a better analysis for a 2:1 match (Mantel-Haenszel etc)?

Assuming this is the right test, I realize that these case-controls need to be matched and analyzed as a group for the McNemar's and sign rank tests. I also know the groupings, as you indicated and I previously mentioned, based on the _id and _nk variables created by the -psmatch2- command. Currently, my data set is 1800 observations (rows) of patient information. I can create a grouping variable with the 600 groups (3 patients per group as per the 2:1 matching) by hand but would prefer not to.

2) Is there an easy way to create these groups or do I have to write out 600 lines of code, as each group will have 3 different _id codes associated with it?

Finally, my understanding of the -mcc- command for McNemar's test is that the individual numbers associated with the various boxes of the  concordant table are to be entered by the user, not calculated by the program. I believe this means I need to manually interrogate every grouping by exposure to a variable of interest and then sum these results by hand, to enter them into a final McNemar's concordant table describing all of the groups relationships based on this one variable. This process would then have to be repeated for every variable of interest. As I have 600 groups and >40 variables of interest, this could prove to be prohibitively tedious.

3) Is this understanding of the command correct? If so, is there a way in which the program can calculate one discordant table for all groups but based on individual intra-group interactions?

Thank you.

Claude A. Beaty Jr., M.D.
Halsted Surgical Resident
Cardiac Surgery Research Fellow