RE: Re: st: combining datasets

From   "E.J. van Ingen" <>
To   "" <>
Subject   RE: Re: st: combining datasets
Date   Fri, 17 Aug 2012 12:13:38 +0000

Dear Kenisha,
It would be easier to give you advice if you posted the syntax you used and error messages you got. Without those it is a guess what went wrong.
- Do the identification variables all have the same name across the datasets?
- Do the identification variables uniquely identify the cases?

Assuming the identification variables are ID - year - month and the answer to the second question is yes, the syntax could look somewhat like this:
use "name of the first file"
merge 1:1 ID year month using "name of the second file"
drop _merge
merge 1:1 ID year month using "name of the third file"

-----Original Message-----
From: [] On Behalf Of Kenisha Russell
Sent: vrijdag 17 augustus 2012 13:32
Subject: Re: Re: st: combining datasets

Hi Nick,

I feel that your answer to my post was quite hard, as I thought that one of the goals of the list was to help less experienced people.
So based on this premise, I submitted my question.

I have read the -help merge- , and tried different syntaxes but was unable to get my data in the format I wanted.
I do apologise, if you think that my lack of knowledge or requesting help was offensive to those who had more important issues to resolve.