st: Problems with fracpoly with the option degree(4) and logistic regression

From   Jean Bouyer <[email protected]>
To   Statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Problems with fracpoly with the option degree(4) and logistic regression
Date   Thu, 16 Aug 2012 17:42:19 +0200

Hi,

For a course on modeling quantitative variables with logistic regression, I use the command fracpoly. Since Stata 11, I have had the folowing problem with the option degree(4) (I attach the corresponding file, JBdata.dta)

when I use the command
fracpoly , adjust(no) degre(4) : logit acc agea  (where acc is a 0/1 variable),
the dot-line begins indicating the progression of the computation, then stops and the program seems to be blocked

On the contrary, with the commands
version 10.1
fracpoly logistic Y X, adjust(no) degree(4)
the computation provides quickly a result.

Is there an explanation ? and what can I do to avoid this problem ?

Thanks

Jean