Re: st: replace and strpos

From   Daniel Feenberg <>
Subject   Re: st: replace and strpos
Date   Wed, 15 Aug 2012 06:47:45 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012, Ona McCarthy wrote:

I have a list of around 300 postcodes that are string variables. I need to change the postcode strings into their corresponding borough. I succeeded in doing this to some extent by writing commands for each string value using replace and strops. E.g.:

replace borough  = "Camden" if strpos(postcode, "NW1")

A problem arises when I run all the commands and it comes to a postcode that contains some characters that are also in another postcode, i.e. it overwrites the original.

E.g. the above "Camden" is overwritten by "Westminster" when this command is run:

replace borough  = "Westminster" if strpos(postcode, "W1")

Because it shares the "W1".

Is there any way I can tell Stata to look for the EXACT postcode? I've looked all around and can't figure it out.

I am interested in why the character comparison operator isn't suitable:

   replace borough = "Westinster" if postcode == "W1"

Alternatively, one could create a file of postcodes and boroughs, and merge it with the in-memory dataset by borough.

daniel feenberg

This email has been scanned by the Symantec Email service.
For more information please visit