st: replace and strpos

From   "Ona McCarthy" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: replace and strpos
Date   Wed, 15 Aug 2012 10:12:17 +0100

I have a list of around 300 postcodes that are string variables. I need to change the postcode strings into their corresponding borough. I succeeded in doing this to some extent by writing commands for each string value using replace and strops. E.g.:

replace borough  = "Camden" if strpos(postcode, "NW1")

A problem arises when I run all the commands and it comes to a postcode that contains some characters that are also in another postcode, i.e. it overwrites the original.

E.g. the above "Camden" is overwritten by "Westminster" when this command is run:

replace borough  = "Westminster" if strpos(postcode, "W1")

Because it shares the "W1".

Is there any way I can tell Stata to look for the EXACT postcode? I've looked all around and can't figure it out.

This email has been scanned by the Symantec Email service.
For more information please visit