Re: st: Panel Regression with missing x for one entity

From   Maarten Buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Panel Regression with missing x for one entity
Date   Tue, 14 Aug 2012 20:22:54 +0200

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 7:43 PM, Whelan, Paul wrote:
>> I'm running a panel regression with a cross-section of countries:
> y_it = c_it + beta_1 x_1 + ... + beta_n x_n + eps_it
> For one of my countries , a particular x is completely missing.
> The estimation works fine but I cannot produce predictions for this particular entity.

You (through Stata) create the prediction by just filling in the
equation you gave above. A missing value just mean you don't know the
value. What would be the outcome of: beta_1*"an unknown value"? Stata
correctly answers: "an unknown value".

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Reichpietschufer 50