st: Re overlaying normal curves over multiple histograms

From   Jennifer Dent <>
Subject   st: Re overlaying normal curves over multiple histograms
Date   Mon, 13 Aug 2012 17:37:38 +0100

I am trying to overlay two histograms, both with normal distributions added. I am able to add a normal line to the first histogram, and to add a second histogram using addplot, but I am not able to add a second normal line. Is there a way to do this? I want the y-axis presented as percentage (or frequency) and not density and wonder if this is where my problem might be?

My code, along with the error, is given below:

set obs 10000
gen WE = rnormal(123.5, 17)
sort WE
gen SA = rnormal(127.9, 17)
sort SA

histogram WE, percent normal addplot(histogram SA, percent normal)

error: option normal not allowed r(198)

Many thanks in advance,

Jennifer Dent