st: Stata 12 bug report: -rename- with wild card (*) used in do-file

From   Gundi Knies <>
Subject   st: Stata 12 bug report: -rename- with wild card (*) used in do-file
Date   Wed, 08 Aug 2012 15:54:29 +0100

Hey folks
I was planning to use -renpfix- to change a series of variable prefixes in my data file but noted that users are pointed toward using -rename- instead. Fine .. Now, the issue is that I found that the following command does the desired renames if I execute it interactively in Stata 12, but not when I include it in a do-file:
rename *_* *1_*
The error message suggests the wild card * is an invalid name"=.
Am I missing something?

Dr Gundi Knies
Institute for Social and Economic Research
University of Essex
Wivenhoe Park
Colchester CO4 3SQ
Tel: +44 (0)1206 872734
Fax: +44 (0)1206 873151

Learn about Understanding Society, the UK Household Longitudinal Study (UKHLS),see in particular