Re: st: Stata extremely slow on bsqreg and sqreg command

Subject   Re: st: Stata extremely slow on bsqreg and sqreg command
Date   Sun, 5 Aug 2012 12:15:54 -0500

Dear fellow landscapers,

I need fine sand to plant a few flowers. I put a few 5 cm rocks into
my kitchen blender and started it on high grate. The blender seems to
buzz and vibrate, but I don't see any sand coming out of it, just
smoke.

I bet your model is still around replication number 10 or so. One way
to try to gauge how much time you need on your full data set is to
figure out how the problem scales. Run it with 100, 200, 500 and 1000
observations by 100, 200 and 400 replications (-set rmsg on- or use
-timer-); fit a power model log( time ) = a + b log( sample size) + c(
number of bootstrap replicates), and -predict- how things will look
like for 100,000 observations. I did something of that kind timing my
-confa- package in
http://stata-journal.com/article.html?article=st0169 (may be that's
something that the authors of computationally intensive packages
should do). When people ask me about -confa- and show me their syntax
with 50+ variables, I just [ palm face ] it.

PS. I have MP4 -glamm- running for the 6th day doing multiple
imputations on a model with two latent factors and a data set with 400
observations. And another -glamm- problem with 350,000 observations
running for the 12th day. Sometimes, you have to be patient.

--
---- Stas Kolenikov
-- http://stas.kolenikov.name