RE: st: Comparing coefficients across sub-samples

From   "Fitzgerald, James" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Comparing coefficients across sub-samples
Date   Wed, 1 Aug 2012 14:20:29 +0000

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your response.

I tried using margins, eyex to calculate elasticities but I got the following error message:

"Could not calculate numerical derivatives - - discontinuous region with missing values encountered".

Have you any suggestions as to why I am receiving this error? Stata says this is the generic form of r(459), but does not go into any specifics as to what is actually causing the error to occur.

Also, suest and sureg do not support xtreg.

Best Regards

James

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Jacobs, David
Sent: 01 August 2012 14:11
To: '[email protected]'
Subject: RE: st: Comparing coefficients across sub-samples

If you want to compare coefficient size, try using elasticities either by logging the explanatory and dependent variable or by using the Stata command for this.

If you want to test for differences in coefficient size and the dependent variables are correlated, use the two equation estimator called -sureg-.  If -sureg- won't work, consider the Stata test called -suest-.

Dave Jacobs