Re: st: QREG Question

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: QREG Question
Date   Sat, 28 Jul 2012 13:55:58 +0100

There's some confusion here between what to do when a response variable has a highly skewed distribution and what functional form is appropriate to express the relationship between that response and a bundle of predictors.

By implication Arnold has a response that is expected to have positive mean but is often zero in practice. I'd expect, with no further information, that -qreg- might perform a bit better than -regress- in this situation, but I'd also expect that -poisson- would do better than either. See also -glm, link(log)-. Seek out Bill Gould's blog posting on Poisson at blog.stata.com

However, if some or all of the zeros come from a distinct group you may need a two-part model. For example, zero hours spent watching the Olympics on TV may reflect zero interest and/or zero access to a TV.

Either way no linear combination Xb has "correcting for skewness" as its direct purpose.

What -qreg- does is well described in the documentation but by default it models the conditional median.

Nick