st: QREG Question

From   Arnold Behrer <>
Subject   st: QREG Question
Date   Fri, 27 Jul 2012 15:33:30 -0400

I have two questions, one related to stats generally and the other to
Stata specifically.

The first is about how useful quantile regression is in correcting for
skewed data.  I have a data set heavily skewed to the right.  I have
considered log transforming it but I would rather not because the
skewness is due in large part to zero values that are meaningful in
the context of the regression.  I thought that perhaps quantile
regression might be a way of correcting for this skew without dropping
the zero values.  Is that true?

The second question is simply whether the Qreg command in Stata runs a
normal quantile regression - splitting the dependent into quantles?

Patrick Behrer