Re: st: Time series?

From   solafem7@yahoo.co.uk
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: Time series?
Date   Wed, 25 Jul 2012 19:30:45 +0000

Aminu,
I think 'line plot' will be most appropriate for you. This is so because it will help you to answer the important question that 'has a change occur'.
Regards.
Sola.

-----Original Message-----
From: "Shittu, Aminu" <ameen_vet@yahoo.com>
Sender: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 09:08:18
To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu<statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>

Dear Statalisters,

I have a climate data with months as my variables and it spanned 10 years. The data consists of 10360 records with each record representing geographical coordinate at 5x5km square grid where measurement was taken. I began summarising the data by taking annual averages using the following command, for maximum temperature for year 2006 for example, I used:

"gen mtemp06 = (jan06+ feb06+ mar06+ apr06+...........+dec06)/12." The command might look long but it worked for me :)

I will do summary statistics on the annaul average for each climatic variable.

Which plot is the best for this kind of data in order to demonstrate the trend of each variable over a period of time. I will place all the 10 years averages on a single plot and throw a legend to define each year.

Kind regards,

Aminu