st: Fwd: Converting weekly data of form yyyyww

From   Ruth Gilgenbach <rgrune@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: Fwd: Converting weekly data of form yyyyww
Date   Wed, 25 Jul 2012 07:55:13 -0500

I have a data set with variable "dates" which are of the form yyyyww,
and I am trying to convert them to a useable format, and am having no
luck. I am running Stata 12.

For example, if I use the following
************************
inp str06 dates
201002
200953
201102
200935
end

gen delivery = weekly(dates,"YW")
*************************

I get the result: (4 missing values generated) rather than the correct result.

I know that the 53-week year in 2009 is also going to pose a problem,
but this problem persists even in the absence of week 53.

I have also attempted to split the string into components and build
the dates from these, but I receive the same problem, that missing
values are generated rather than the values themselves:

******************
inp str06 dates
201002
200953
201102
200935
end

gen year =substr(dates,1,4)
encode year, generate(nyear)
gen week = substr(dates,5,2)
encode week, generate(nweek)

gen delivery2 = yw(nyear,nweek)

Thanks for reading, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ruth Gilgenbach