st: Why to use and how to interpret interaction terms in nlogit?

From   Patricia Yu <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Why to use and how to interpret interaction terms in nlogit?
Date   Fri, 20 Jul 2012 16:15:59 -0400

Dear Statalist,

I learn the nested logit model by running –nlogit- with a travel dataset which could be obtained by typing the following in Stata:

. webuse travel

Tree structure for the nested logit model is below:

top ---------> bottom

An interaction term of “choosing air” with “household income” is also created: named <air_inc>.

The result table of nlogit is presented as follows:

My questions are:

2.    Why the interaction term of “choosing air” with “household income” is created for the second equation (the equation of type)? How to explain its result?

Thank you very much in advance for helping me clarify these!

Thanks,

Patricia

PATRICIA YU

Dissertator in Higher Education

Department of Educational Leadership & Policy Analysis

School of Education

University of Wisconsin-Madison

(608) 698-8108