Re: st: concurrent datasets

From   David Kantor <kantor.d@att.net>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: concurrent datasets
Date   Thu, 19 Jul 2012 10:44:08 -0400

At 10:30 AM 7/19/2012, tashi wrote:

Hello,

I was ecstatic this morning to find out stata allows to open another dataset while dataset from web is in memory, which runs counter to belief that stata allows only one dataset in memory. I would be very interested to know the reason. Could someone throw light in this..

webuse even

use t2   (stata is happy)
[...]

I'm not up on the latest, but I think you are witnessing behavior that has been in Stata from the beginning.
After
-use t2 -
even is removed from memory.
Stata allowed you to load a new dataset (without -clear- or -use...,clear-) because there was no change to the one previously in memory (even).

HTH
--David